Saturday, August 3, 2013

They Gon' Cut Me Up

Mmmyyeelllowwwss againss!!

Long time.  

My bad.  

So it's been kind of an eventful month!  I went to Scotland for a week with my parents and IT. WAS. AMAZING.  I am so in love with Scotland.  I want to move there.  Right now.  

Everything was just so great.  Even just the whole European atmosphere is really nice.  And even though I spent the whole time trying to not be super self conscious about being overweight in Europe and trying not to be either like a walking example of obesity in America, or just an obnoxious American tourist or something...




...I loved it so much.  

It's just an overall healthier environment over there!  Everything is smaller. The cars, the streets, the people, the portion sizes, the doorways, etc.  The soda sizes at the store are way smaller.  All of the meats and eggs are like "free range" or "happy eggs".  And they make you feel super terrible about not buying the more expensive organic stuff because the cheaper eggs are on the side, but they say "NOT free range" on them. And you'll probably get lots of dirty looks if you buy them.  I think we forget sometimes how big everything is here.  I'm convinced it's the whole "gold fish will grow to meet the size of the tank" type of thing why we're all large people.  But I still love my country and we're still awesome and a great land of opportunity and we're very privileged.  Even if in 50 years we're all in Hoveround chairs.  

But yeah.  Scotland.  

I loved everything about it, but mostly the scenery.  When you picture Scotland, you think green rolling hills and beautiful cloudy skies and just green, green GREEN.  

Well it's totally like that.  Like exactly.  






Yeah.  I know.  

And I went to a bunch of amazing castles and sites and it's just amazing, I put some pics on my Facebook with the descriptions on there and everything. It would take me way too long to go over everything.  Just - it was amazing and you should definitely go there if you have a chance.  

In other news. 

I am getting my surgery on Monday!!  2 days!!!

If you recall, (or don't recall, whatever), I am getting bariatric surgery!  My dad got it over a year ago and I am following in his footsteps to a healthier life!  I am really excited.  The procedure that I'm getting is the gastric sleeve procedure where they cut out like 70% of my stomach.  Super interested? Well if so, the Michigan Bariatric Institute put this video up on their Facebook page about it and it's pretty cool!

Anywho. 

So I've been prepping for that this summer with lots of preparatory tests and procedures, and right now I have to shrink my liver with 5 days of only eating 1000 calories and 3 days of just clear liquids.  It's not too bad if you eat enough protein!  But then the food ads come up on TV and I kind of get ravenous. But otherwise, not too bad.  

But I mean come on, how could you last with this in your face?




Stupid Dominos.  

So basically I'll be eating very little and working up to more solid foods after the surgery and eventually, like my dad, I'll get to the point where you are pretty much able to eat whatever you want, but just smaller portions.  

There are so many things I am looking forward to with the weight loss.  And I know, it's not like I just get this surgery and just sit back and not do anything while I magically become Ms exercise and fitness. Mmmno.  It's gonna be hard work and I'm gonna have to make sure I stay on top of my exercise, like it's my job, and making sure I eat right and enough protein and all sorts of things.  It's going to be a life-changing experience and it's gonna require a lot of maintenance.

But yeah there are so many things I'm looking forward to like: fitting into smaller clothes, shopping in non-plus size stores, having more energy, not being reminded of my huge size every time I go to an amusement park or basically anywhere where I have to sit in seats, just feeling better about my appearance, and lots of other things.  And it's not like I'm going to become a totally different person when I lose weight or that I won't be self conscious at all or shy or whatever - but I think it will definitely make a difference.    

Bottom line, it's a kick in the pants to start living a healthier life.  Not too bad in my opinion.  

So this is what it did to my dad...
(Before & After, 1 year after surgery - Lost 103 pounds)



...so I'm hoping something similar will happen to me.  (While still knowing that I am a woman and we generally lose weight slower than men).  

So if I don't pass out and fall off a cliff due to my clear liquids diet before the surgery, bring it on!  And bring on the health!!  I'm ready for it.  

Oh, and this is how Iron Man 3 should have ended.  


(It's because.  I'm Batman!)


Right on.  



2 comments:

Katie said...

1) These pictures of Scotland look like something from a freaking postcard. Even the cows look like gosh darn professional models.

2) You are rocking this surgery thing, because you are a rock star. What else is new.

3) You will always be the beautiful and super gorgeous smokin' red head of a sister that I've always known! Werk. It.

Katie said...

I also just spent the last 10 minutes playing with the fishbowl app thing on this site. I feel so serene and at peace with my life now.